[Cake Break] Let's Catch Up

08:00 Cilla 6 Comments



I love Jamie at Perpetual Page-Turner's feature here, where she talks to her readers as if they are meeting up for coffee. I adore getting to know a little more about her this way, so I'd like to follow her lead and maybe make some connections myself! I'm adapting it slightly because I go for sweets over coffee. So, have a cake break and chat with me?

Hii! It's been a while since we last caught up with each other. How have you been? I hope 2017 has been kind to you so far, and I hope you're okay. Watching the news, it feels like the world is spiralling, and it's a relief to (sort of) see a friendly face. Today, I have my nutella toast, but I'm dreaming of this:

Photo credit: Nuts About Tella.


If we were sharing this doughnut...
I'd tell you that I've been feeling a lot of gratitude for the friends that I have. I've always had trouble making friends, mainly 'cause I'm an awkward turtle about initiating conversations. In recent times, there have been moments when I feel sad that my efforts to pursue friendships haven't been reciprocated. Lately I've been catching up with everyone, however, and I'm reminded that I already have awesome people in my life. It's always good to make new friends, but I'm also happy with what I have.

I'd ask you if you have any recommendations for an easy, healthy breakfast. You may have noticed by now that I'm weak for Nutella. Last year, I got into a bad habit of having it on toast for breakfast practically every day. Yeah, it's not good. So I've been working on breaking that habit by eating breakfast parfaits, or good old eggs and bacon. I'm always open for recommendations though!

And on that note, I'd tell you that I've been cooking and baking a lot! Well, more than I normally ever do, anyway. It's the restlessness of the holiday, I tell you. Since around Christmas time, I've tried about seven different new recipes. Mind you, I haven't gotten them perfectly right, but I haven't burnt down the kitchen either! What's a skill you'd like to get better at?

I'd ask you if you've ever read mangas. Until I was in about fifth grade, my mother actually banned my sister and I from reading mangas, believing that we'll benefit more from getting into the habit of reading 'proper' books. I don't know if she was right or not, but she did let us read them eventually. Cardcaptor Sakura was my favourite, and I recently found out they're doing a new series for it! I've read a few chapters and they gave me the best kind of nostalgia.

I hate to end this on a depressing note, but I'd have to confess that I'm scared about where the world is heading. I watch the news about what's happening in USA, and I feel helpless and angry. I see the reactions of the Australian government to the immigration ban, and I worry for my future as an immigrant here. I talk to my parents about what's going on at home regarding attitudes to people like me, and I'm not sure it'll be safe for me to keep calling it home. So where do I belong? If we're heading for disaster, where will I go? If you share similar fears, I hope you know you're not alone. I don't know how to make it better, but I stand with you.

Anyway, tell me what's new with you! 
What have you been up to?

6 comments:

  1. First of all, that donut is ... I just can't even describe how fantastically delicious it looks. It's my birthday today. Would it be too demanding if I asked my family go to Australia to bring that back for me? That's totally reasonable, right?

    As for your thoughts on what's happening in the world, all I can say is I'm sorry. I hope that things settle down soon and that we stop the insanity. I can't imagine what it would be like to live as an immigrant right now when things are in such upheaval. I feel for you, and I'm sorry!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For that donut, a trip halfway around the world would totally be reasonable, especially on your birthday! ;)

      Thanks Nicole - it's unsettling to watch the news these days, but hopefully things will change sooner rather than later. <3

      Delete
  2. The things going on in the world right now are really stressful, and I've been struggling on and off with anxiety over it. I'm really hoping that things get better. But definitely know you're not alone! <3

    I actually only really got into manga in the last year or so, and I've been loving it. Cardcaptor Sakura is one I haven't read yet (though I've watched the anime - have you?), but I own the first four ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa <3 I hope you're doing well!

      I have watched the anime! It was my favourite thing when I was in primary school, and you should totally read the manga. :D They're a bit different, but wonderful in their own ways.

      Delete
  3. The world is filled with anxiety and stress right now, no matter where you are, but that's why it's more important than ever to connect with people, to build personal connections, and to take the time to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)